worldwide-energy-efficiency

Top Ten Most Energy-Efficient Cities In The World

The World’s 10 Most Energy-Efficient Cities

Oilprice.com, July 8, 2014

Reykjavik, Iceland

By most measures, Reykjavik tops the list of energy efficient cities worldwide. Along with the rest of Iceland, Reykjavik relies on renewable hydropower and geothermal plants to provide all of the heat, electricity, and hot water for its more than 120,000 citizens. The Nesjavellir geothermal power station services all of the space heating and hot water needs of the greater Reykjavik area. The city plans on becoming fossil fuel-free by 2050 and the final piece of that puzzle is hydrogen power. In the mid-2000s, the city began replacing its public transportation with hydrogen-fueled buses. The only “pollution” emitted from these vehicles is pure water. Although Iceland may be a small country, it’s big energy ambitions are leading the way for the rest of the world.

Vancouver, Canada

Vancouver gives Reykjavik a run for its money. In 2012, the city of Vancouver laid out an action plan to become the world’s greenest city by 2020. While that may seem like a big accomplishment in a fairly small amount of time, the city is well on its way. Hydroelectric power already accounts for 90 percent of the city’s energy supply, while the other 10 percent includes renewables like wind, solar, and wave power. Add in Vancouver’s mass transit — nearly 250 miles of bike lanes and ride sharing programs — and the city has one of the lowest per capita carbon emissions of any major city in North America.

Read More