Amanda Gassé for Zondits, June 16, 2015. Image credit: LoboStudioHamburg
With summer heating up, the Zondits team explored iTunes and Google Play to find the best energy saving apps on the market. The apps that made our list save time and money by eliminating phantom loads while increasing the efficiency of household appliances. Reducing energy consumption saves natural resources and lowers your carbon footprint—and your utility bills. Now, energy saving is truly at your fingertips.
1. Green Outlet (iOS)
In this rough economy everyone is trying to find ways to control their budget. One of the easiest ways to save money is to reduce your electric use and while you save money on your bill your also helping save the environment. It’s a win win situation!
Green Outlet helps you identify which of your household appliances are costing you the most to run so you can make informed decisions about your electric use.
By selecting the types of appliances you use in your home and entering how many hours of use per day for each green outlet will predict what your electric bill will be for the month.
While adding up the financial cost of your appliance use GO also adds up your household Carbon Footprint.
2. Wiser Home (iOS and Android)
The Wiser™ Energy Management System (EMS), a comprehensive demand management solution for utilities and consumers, allows homeowners to reduce or shift energy use during peak times and helps electricity providers improve grid efficiency and network reliability.
Wiser EMS empowers consumers to understand and, for the first time ever, take total control of their household energy use. By making energy use visible, consumers can now manage, control and reduce energy costs and improve their carbon footprint like never before.
Plus, when networked Wiser devices are connected through smart meters to the grid, utilities can better stabilize and ensure a reliable network for their homeowners.
3. Netatmo Weather Station (iOS and Android)
Discover the first Personal Weather Station and its App!
A Netatmo Weather Station is required. Find out more about the Netatmo Weather Station at www.netatmo.com.
Become a contributor and be part of this unique Personal Weather Station network: measure locally with your Netatmo Weather Station, monitor directly from your phone with the Netatmo app!
- Access your station’s measurements (temperature, humidity, barometer, felt-like temperature, CO2 and air quality) directly from your phone.
- Intuitive and easy navigation! Swipe between outdoor measurements and indoor measurements in one easy gesture.
EVENTS AND NOTIFICATIONS:
- Notifications for peak and variation events (CO2 concentration, extreme temperatures, low and high pressures…).
- Automatically logs events in your personal timeline.
4. CodeGreen Energy App (iOS and Android)
The first mobile App to enable real estate professionals, building owners, tenants, brokers, etc., to view and analyze Energy Star® scores of thousands of buildings right from their smartphones. This innovative solution responds to a need that CodeGreen saw amongst clients for a way to easily access Energy Star® information on the go. New Energy Star® disclosure requirements in cities such as New York, Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin have increased the importance of higher scores. The CodeGreen Energy App enables easy search and comparison for thousands of buildings throughout the country
In addition to helping owners and tenants give their Energy Star® scores context by adjusting average comparison groups by size, age, and building types, the CodeGreen Energy App offers other useful features that will allow users to:
- See whether or not their building is compliant with new energy efficiency laws
- Send updates on their building’s energy efficiency for verification
- Understand new energy efficiency laws and see when their buildings are due to comply
- Share building performance stats on social media networks like Facebook and Twitter
5. uMeter (iOS and Android)
Consumers with wifi enabled smartmeters or sensors can use uMETER to manage and optimize their energy consumptions, in order to reduce their expenses and carbon footprint.
- Have a real time and precise notion about how much energy you are consuming.
- Real-time, updated information about the most recent energy consumption and the projected monthly cost, consumption and carbon footprint.
- A crystal clear view over your tariff, that allows you to known when to use your power-hungry devices.
- An in-depth analysis of historical data about consumption, costs and CO2 emissions, presented at multiple levels of detail.
- Comparative analysis of consumption, cost and CO2 emissions in different months, weeks, days, hours and even minutes!